Thursday, September 19, 2013

Gospel Preached to All

My Way News - Pope criticizes church emphasis on abortion, gays
My Way News reports: "'The church sometimes has locked itself up in small things, in small-minded rules," Francis said. 'The most important thing is the first proclamation: Jesus Christ has saved you. And the ministers of the church must be ministers of mercy above all.' The comments contained no change in church teaching, and the pope said reform should not happen quickly. Still, it was the pope's clearest declaration yet of a break in tone and style from his immediate predecessors."

Comment: If he is returning to a focus on Jesus, that would be welcome. If he gets rid of the idolatry (prayer to Mary and other dead saints) that would be even more welcome. I'm actually fairly impressed with what I've seen in Francis and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

No comments: