Tuesday, July 01, 2008

My Way News - Scientists say ailing penguins signal sea problems
AP reports: "The dwindling march of the penguins is signaling that the world's oceans are in trouble, scientists now say. Penguins may be the tuxedo-clad version of a canary in the coal mine, with generally ailing populations from a combination of global warming, ocean oil pollution, depleted fisheries, and tourism and development, according to a new scientific review paper."

Comment: I received an e-mail from a reader who was a bit irate, apparently because he felt I had an environmentalist slant and he doubted global warming was real. In my reply I noted that I'm not making any claims about that, merely saying that whether global warming is real or not, it's something people are very worried about, and it reflects the attitude describe in the prophecy about people having fear and trepidation about the future, about what is happening to the world.

Personally, I think that global warming as a phenomenon has been conclusively proven, but whether it is caused by man or by a natural climate cycle, or some combination of the two, has not been conclusively proven. I've even seen suggestions that changes in solar output is the cause, though I don't think the data is there to support that, as we haven't been collecting data on the sun long enough to compare with other long-term climate data. As a Christian my view of the environment is one of stewardship, I believe God created the Earth and gave humanity dominion over it, we should respect the Earth as a gift from God and not despoil it. And to conclude by bringing this back to Bible prophecy, remember that when Jesus returns he does so to put an end to war and stop those who are destroying the Earth (Revelation 11). Christians then should not be on the side of those who seek to destroy the Earth.

No comments: