Tuesday, September 07, 2010

My Way News - Abbas asks US to step into settlement dispute

My Way News reports: "Israel's 10-month partial freeze on new construction in West Bank settlements ends Sept. 26, and Israeli officials have indicated they will not extend the freeze as is. Abbas has said he'll quit peace talks with Israel unless the restrictions remain in place. Abbas said late Monday that he has asked the U.S. 'to intervene in the settlement issue.'"

Comment: I've never really understand why new construction matters. I mean, every proposed agreement for the past decade or so assumes that Israel will give up some already settled land - physically remove residents - so what's a few more buildings? And why should the PA object to having newly built apartments move-in-ready for their people to set up state in? Well, it doesn't matter, I suspect the Psalm 83 war will happen before the peace treaty. After all, peace treaties historically come after the war, not before.

No comments: