Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Changing How I Identify Sources
As you know, I have a habit of identifying the source of news reports, I think this is very important to do. As I explain in the About page, I encourage our readers to visit the primary sources to read and study them for themselves. It is a founding premise of this site that prophetic events are happening and are being reported in mainstream news media and so I'm very careful to cite the news sources and link back to them.

One of my primary news sources, the Associated Press, has decided to try to turn back the clock to a pre-internet era and actively try to discourage people from linking to their news reports. I think their effort is doomed to fail and runs counter to the culture of the internet. Still, I'll respect their wishes and from now on and whenever possible, I will use alternative sources for posts. When I do use AP reports from my favorite news index service (MyWay News), I'll use my BlogThis tool to link to MyWay News, but will now stop editing the pre-formated text to note the original news source, as I had been doing. This will result in a link that looks like the one in the post above, and you may consider MyWay News the source, and they are (presumably) covered by their licensing agreement with the AP.

As AP slowly destroys itself, we can look forward to more news from Reuters, UPI, AFP, BBC News, CNN, the New York Times, and all the other wonderful providers out there that actually want people using their services, linking to their reports, and discussing the news on blogs, websites, and around the water cooler.

No comments: