Monday, August 24, 2009

Man urges U.S. to heed electronic terror threat - msnbc.com
MSNBC reports: "Experts warn an EMP attack with even a crude nuclear device has the potential to disable or burn out everything from cell phones and personal computers to vehicle ignitions, power grids and air traffic control systems within 1,000 miles (1,600 kilometers), all while having no direct effect on people."

Comment: I have been critical of such fears on this blog in the past (see my previous post here) and there is nothing new in this report to change my views. Still, I can't deny that this topic is gaining currency and it seems to be a real fear among people who have studied the issue more than I have. I can only hope that public awareness of the threat will force the authorities to take steps to harden civilian infrastructure from EMP damage.

No comments: